Friday, January 31, 2014

Selfies + Staying Home With Your Kids

I love the internet, I really do.  You can call me crazy but it's so much of our lives now and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Ya, it can be really negative, but sometimes I find the best most uplifting things on the internet and it just makes you feel a part of something, and mushy and soft.  Some things make you think about the way you live your life and ways to do it better.  And you really have to sort through blogs and posts and e-mails, but once in a while something will pop up that will just make you think.  And so, here are a couple of fun things I've found over the last weeks I wanted to share.

With the new year almost a month done, and people going crazy at the gym trying to look good, I thought this next video was appropriate to remind us not to focus on the little things and not to be so nitpicky. It  shows why we judge other people the way we do and where we tend to get our insecurities and why we shouldn't be so down on ourselves all the time.  What we see is not what a lot of people see.  It's good to get healthy, and a new year is a good motivation, but sometimes I think we need a reminder that we're fine the way we are.

 
 
On a totally separate topic, this next article made me think about the way Jeff and I talk to one another.  I know a lot of this article is about the mom who stays home, but Jeff and I don't have daycare for Noah, we both stay home.  We rotate shifts so I suppose we're both stay at home parents.  And I get where is mom is coming from when she wants to say this after her husband asks her how her day went:

"How was my day? Today has been a lifetime. It was the best of times and the worst of times. There were moments when my heart was so full I thought I might explode, and there were other moments when my senses were under such intense assault that I was CERTAIN I'd explode. I was both lonely and absolutely desperate to be alone. I was saturated -- just BOMBARDED with touch and then the second I put down this baby I yearned to smell her sweet skin again. I was simultaneously bored out of my skull and completely overwhelmed with so much to do. Today was too much and not enough. It was loud and silent. It was brutal and beautiful. I was at my very best today and then, just a moment later, at my very worst. At 3:30 today I decided that we should adopt four more children, and then at 3:35 I decided that we should give up the kids we already have for adoption. Husband -- when your day is completely and totally dependent upon the moods and needs and schedules of tiny, messy, beautiful rug rats your day is ALL OF THE THINGS and NONE OF THE THINGS, sometimes within the same three minute period. But I'm not complaining. This is not a complaint, so don't try to FIX IT. I wouldn't have my day Any.Other.Way. I'm just saying -- it's a hell of a hard thing to explain -- an entire day with lots of babies."
 
It's so true though, everything she said about staying at home with your children.  It's such a tough job.  And "how was your day?" is the hardest question on answer.  There are just so many better questions to ask the parent who's staying home.  So after reading this, I'd like to make a conscious effort to ask better questions and to appreciate my husband who takes such good care of our child. Because it's a hard job. But we signed up for it and we have to take good care of each other too.  Not just our children.

And finally, this last blog post came from A Beautiful Exchange. This one is for the moms (or dads) who just need a little push today.  It's been a tough day or week or month and you need a little pick-me-up.  There is always someone watching who thinks you're a good mom or dad. =)  I loved reading this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment