Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cake Pops!

Unfortunately the last couple of weeks have not been filled with a lot of cooking... mostly because I've been on vacation but I guess that's not all that bad.  We did a lot of eating out at restaurants in Texas and Arizona so it was fun to eat at new restaurants that we don't see as ofter around here. 
While I was in Arizona visiting my sister she introduced me to cake pops! They were delicious! They were so good that I decided I had to make my own version.  It was pretty simple too!

I didn't take pictures of my process and honestly I didn't even write much of a recipe down so I'll try to re-cap as best as I can. 
TIME: about 3 hrs
MAKES: about 25 cakepops

Ingredients: 
Lolipop sticks
Any kinds of your favorite chocolate
Box of cake mix
Container of frosting of your choice
Decorations for your cake pops

Directions:
1. Make your cake as directed of the box and let cook.  
2. Crumble your cake into a large bowl and mix with the whole container of frosting.  Put in the fridge to cool completely. 
3. Once the cake pop mix is cooled roll into 1in balls and set aside in a container that will eventually fit in your freezer. Freeze your balls completely. If you don't freeze them enough, when you stick the sticks through the balls they might break apart.
4. Take the balls out of the freezer and stick the sticks through them. 
5. Melt the chocolate and dip the cakepops in the chocolate.  You can even use a spoon to help you cover the balls. 
6. Finally decorate as you wish! I just dipped mine in sprinkles... just beware if you do sprinkles you may need more than you think you do so buy a couple of containers just in case.  You can always save the extra for another time. After you decorate, turn the cakepops upside down to cool slightly on some wax paper.  

So that's it! pretty simple but I must say it takes a little longer than I had originally thought it might. If you plan to make a lot of them I suggest maybe doing it ahead of time since they keep pretty well in the freezer for a couple of days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment