Monday, November 24, 2014

Weather Problems

This winter is cramping our house building for sure.  The hold up we had with the permit before the digging started pushed us back three weeks and that's proving to be the worst ever.  Since the snow decided to come early this year the contractors have had to find time between the snow and the low temps to put down the concrete.  We stopped by last week and this is all we had.  Nothing had changed this weekend either.  What should have taken a week could now take all winter if this snow doesn't let up!


But while the house just sits we've been busy picking things out still hoping for a little miracle. 

Oct 8 (Day 1) - We signed our contract and everything is official!
Oct 9 (Day 2) - Expected ground breaking - delay with permit.
Oct 14 (Day 7) - Pick out front door, interior doors, house molding, door knobs, and decking and siding.
Oct 15 (Day 8) - Fireplace
Oct 21 (Day 14) - Faucets, sinks, shower heads, toilets.  Also garage door.
Oct 23 (Day 16) - Cabinetry for the whole house - knobs and handles
Nov 5 (Day 29) - Ground breaking - hole digging and laying some foundation.
Nov 13 (Day 37) - Outside brick
Nov 18 (Day 42) - Cabinet place again - Changed our minds of the kitchen cabinets!
Nov 19 (Day 43) - Chose lighting, sort of because that was pretty hard. Still have to finalize some choices.

We changed our minds on the kitchen cabinets and went from the picture on the left to the one on the right.
 

The left one had some details on the edges and a grey glaze in the grooves which looked great and I was super sold on it in the store.   But the more I thought about it the more I went back to the simple shaker door that I've always wanted.  So why did I choose the first option to begin with?   We went back to the store and looked at both options and since Jeff liked the second option better and I was torn we just went with the second.  I am so less stressed thinking about it that I know it was the right decision. 

Lighting was tougher than I immagined.  When we went to the store our designer pointed us in the direction of the builder basics and then if we didn't like those we could choose from the rest of the store or online.  Well since they didn't carry everything in the store we spend a ton of time looking online and in the books to mix and match from the lighting we did like.  I think the problem with this appointment is I really didn't know what I wanted.  I had so many ideas I didn't know where to start.  They easy things were picked like hallways and closet lights and the hard stuff, like the kitchen lights and pendants and still a work in progress.
So far these are my favorite lights.  But what dining room chandelier do you choose if I pick that pendant for my island?!   Any ideas and super welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment